Media image

Press Releases

NEW CÔTE SAINT-LUC HIGH SCHOOL WILL NOT OPEN NEXT YEAR

Repercussion Theatre

MONTREAL, FEBRUARY 23,  2011 –  The English Montreal School Board (EMSB) has announced that it will not open a new high school in Cote Saint-Luc next year.  Following a two week application period, which ended on February 18, there is not the critical mass necessary to proceed at the present time.

EMSB Chairman Angela Mancini said that the situation can be reviewed for the 2012-2013 academic year.

 “This application procedure was held outside of our traditional registration period,” commented Ms. Mancini. “As a result, many of the parents we spoke to had already made their choices for next year. We set a target of a certain number of students and I will say that the response was pretty good. But in the final analysis we did not feel it was enough to recommend the launch of a new school.”

Dr.  Syd Wise, the commissioner for Côte Saint-Luc and the chair of a special Focus Committee,  said that this was a learning process. “We had a wonderful public meeting in October with an overflowing crowd of interested parents,” he said. “The questionnaires we asked them to fill out gave us a lot of valuable information There have been many phone calls and emails from parents whose children are a few years away from high school. We will now go back to the table and see what options can be explored for  2012-2013.”

-30-



Michael J. Cohen
Communications and Marketing Specialist
English Montreal School Board
Tel: (514) 483-7200 ext. 7243
Fax: (514) 483-7213
E-mail: mcohen@emsb.qc.ca