MONTREAL, JANUARY 9, 2012 – The English Montreal School Board Council of Commissioners will convene on Wednesday, January 11 (6:30 p.m.) at Rosemount High School (3737 Beaubien Street East) to vote on a series of recommendations related to school closures and relocations.
Following the series of public hearings held in December, the EMSB Long Range Planning Committee has disclosed its final recommendations. Some of their initial proposals have now changed.
Here are the final recommendations:
- The St. John Bosco Elementary School population from Ville Émard be consolidated at the St. Gabriel Elementary School in Point St. Charles and that Vezina Alternative High School remain in the same facility;
- Nesbitt Elementary School in Rosemount remain open;
- St. Brendan Elementary School in Rosemount close and the student population be consolidated at Nesbitt;
- Fraser Academy in St. Laurent close and the student population be directed to John Caboto Academy in Ahuntsic;
- Carlyle Elementary School in TMR remain open;
- Royal Vale High School in NDG not be relocated to the Giovanni Palatucci Facility in Côte Saint-Luc;
- Vincent Massey Collegiate in Rosemount not be relocated to the St. Pius X facility in Ahuntsic;
- James Lyng High School in Saint Henri remain open;
- St. Raphael School, Program Mile End, the Laurier Macdonald Vocational Centre programs for hairdressing, electrolysis and aesthetics and Perspectives II Alternative High School not be relocated;
- One satellite class for special needs adult students (CARE) affiliated with the Marymount Adult Education Centre presently housed in the Shadd Business Centre in NDG be relocated to the Giovanni Palatucci Facility.
The EMSB is also recommending the implementation of distinct boundaries for Core schools (33 percent French) to those offering an extended French Program (Bilingual or French Immersion): Carlyle, Dalkeith, Elizabeth Ballantyne, Hampstead, Parkdale, St. Brendan and Westmount Park.