MONTREAL, FEBRUARY 22, 2011 – Italian culture was alive and well at the second annual Italian Storytelling Festival, which was hosted recently by the English Montreal School Board (EMSB) Pedagogical Services Department at Le Chateaubriand in Rivière des Prairies.
The festival made its successful debut last year and once again featured students in the Integrated Italian Program, PELO or PICAI heritage language classes who celebrated the art of storytelling with teachers, administrators, friends and family in the language of their ancestors.
Providing opening remarks at this year’s event was EMSB Deputy Director General Roma Medwid as well as Regional Director Marzia Michielli. Emceeing this year’s event was Mario Tirelli, retired Director General of the EMSB and special guests included Pasquale Iacobacci, a guest storyteller and Console Antonio Poletti, the Italian Consul in Montreal. Sonia Benedetto also provided a beautiful rendition in Italian of Elton John’s “Circle of Life” as an interlude between stories.
The following students represented their elementary schools by sharing their stories:
- Beatrice Dupont “Che cose farai da grande” and Emily Veneziale “Il gotta con gli stivali” from Dalkeith in Anjou;
- Adriano Barbieri “La regola Francescana” and Jessica Pepe “L’arrivo dei miei nonni nel Canada” from Dante School in St. Leonard;
- Maya Astrologo Rolli “Cappuccetto” and Alexander David “La Befana” from General Vanier school in St. Leonard;
- Lucas Arduini “Il bambino sincere” and Gianfranco Micozzi “Il mio nonno” from Honore Mercier school in St. Leonard;
- Justin Petrilli, “I pulcini ubriachi” and Brenda Sabbatino “Chi si accontenta” from Pierre de Coubertin in St. Leonard;
- Julian Di Lollo “Vietato girare a sinistra” and Miranda Galluccio “Due chichi di fagiolo” from East Hill school in Riviere-des-Prairies;
- Serena Mancinelli “Il lipo e il cane” and Sabrina Nero “I tre desideri” from Leonardo da Vinci Academy in Riviere-des-Prairies;
- Kayla Conca “I sette nani di pietra” and Luca Masi “Geppetto cosa fai?” from Michelangelo school in Riviere-des-Prairies;
- Francesco Lepore “I tre porcellini” from Edward Murphy School in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve;
- Sabrina Di Palma “Ciccia” and Cristina Mignacca “L’omino della pioggia” from Gerald McShane in Montreal North;
- Emma-Lee Di Giovanni “Pinocchi e il grillo” and Isabella Tarakjian “Il gatto e la luna” from Nesbitt School in Rosemount;
- Michael Fraone “Il progetto” and Beatrice Morselli “Immersione totale” from Pierre Elliott Trudeau in Rosemount;
- Gabriella Martucci “La dozzina del pasticcere” from Our Lady of Pompeii in Ahuntsic;
- Emilia Augello “Le mie vacanze in Italia” and Tiziana Resta “Il ladro professionista” from St. Dorothy school in St. Michel.
- Gabriel Masi “La leggenda dell’abete” from the PICAI program.