MONTREAL, DECEMBER 16, 2011 – In order to do their part in the fight against prostate cancer, personnel from across the English Montreal School Board participated in “Movember” – a month long campaign which takes place around the world where men grow mustaches and raise funds as well as awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer.
- Westmount High School’s Movember team, lead by Scott Macleod, raised $1,021 for Prostate Cancer research during Movember. The team of over 20 teachers launched its moustache competition with a “Shave-Off” event and concluded the month with a photo shoot to show off their “mo’s”. About half the funds were raised in-school when students and staff donated to the best moustache. Andri Meades won in a landslide victory of over $100 for sprouting an envy-worthy “mo.” Macleod emphasized the importance of teacher participation in the event. “It sets a good example for students and provides them with male role models,” he said. “We were able to raise awareness about male health and have some fun along the way. Some teachers even created moustache-themed assignments.”
- Dunrae Gardens Elementary School in Town of Mount Royal raised $855 in their first Movember campaign. In addition to staff members, one parent and friends joined the “Dunrae Mo Bro’s, captained by Vice-Principal Marco Gagliardi. Throughout the month, the students asked lots of great questions and the efforts of the Dunrae Mo Bro’s have helped raise awareness and funds to help support cancer research.
- John Paul I Junior High School in St. Leonard raised $350 for Movember courtesy of two staff members: Joe Lamantia and Raymond Tomasino.
- Vincent Massey Collegiate in Rosemount raised $3,129.80 for Movember courtesy of Mr. Fombuena, Mr. Rosa, Mr. Chen, Mr. Zoes, Mr. Di Maio, Mr. Pereira, Mr. Ellinger, Mr. Buttino, Mr. Bakos, Mr. Mc Rae, Mr. Pevec, Mr. Gagnon, and Mr. Spilak.
- Spiritual and Community Animator Aaron Durocher participated in Movember and raised $260 courtesy of the generosity of family, friends and colleagues.
- LaurenHill Academy in St. Laurent, led by Louis Bilodeau, raised $1,013 for Movember.