École Honoré Mercier- 5e année (groupe 523)
Survey Based on Students’ Interest
· Write an information text based on students’ interests.
· Collect the facts using a bar graph.
· Interpret the results using fractions and percent.
· Creat histograms and other types of graphs using logiciel Excel.
· Students work in groups of two. The students choose a theme (e.g. favorite foods, favorite sports, favorite movies…) and conduct a survey. Their survey involved two distinct levels of students (e.g. gr.1 and 6 or K. and gr.5).
· Using the results of the survey and the bar graphs the students can apply their knowledge of fractions and percent.
· The students analyse their results and write a summary explaining the steps taken in gathering their information and facts.
· The students attach this summary to different types of graphs (the obligatory histogram and one from the choices offered by the program), with the help from Excel.
Suggestions and tips :
· The majority of the students were already familiar with Logiciel Word. Students worked individually without needing formal instruction. They solved their own problems through trial and error.
· For the Excel program a twenty minute course was given using the Multi Media projector.