Information and recommendations concerning COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
To all EMSB staff, parents and students:
Given current reports about the Coronavirus, we wish to inform you of the situation and provide the latest recommendations issued by the Government of Canada and the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux. Please find attached a letter issued by the Direction régionale de santé publique.
The Coronavirus causes respiratory infections with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath. Individuals who have fallen ill from the virus have been reported mainly in the city of Wuhan, but new cases have been detected in other areas as well. At this point, there are no cases in Quebec. Overall, the risk for Canadians remains low. However, risk is considered high for individuals who travel to China. For this reason, the recommendations below have been issued.
Recommendations for travelers returning from China
All travelers who have visited Hubei province are asked to voluntary quarantine * themselves for 14 days following the departure from Hubei and to monitor their symptoms.
*Voluntary quarantine consists of:
- Avoid contact with elderly or immunosuppressed individuals and those suffering from a chronic disease.
- Avoid receiving visitors at home.
- Avoid public transportation and gatherings.
- Do not frequent the following establishments: schools, daycares, health care, workplaces or senior residences
If you develop symptoms of fever, cough or respiratory problems within 14 days after returning from Hubei province (including the city of Wuhan), contact Info-Santé 811 to get recommendations from a health care professional.
(All travelers returning from Hubei province showing symptoms are monitored at the airport).
Travelers returning from China (all other provinces) developing symptoms (fever, cough, difficulty breathing), please contact Info-Santé 811.
Recommendations for everyone
We are in a period of seasonal respiratory infections (flu, cold). Please follow proper hygiene and sneeze etiquette to prevent the spread of these infections.
- If you have symptoms of a respiratory infection (fever, cough, sneezing), limit your contact with others.
- When you sneeze or cough, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue. Throw the tissue away and wash your hands.
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your elbow or upper arm.
- Wash your hands often with soap and hot water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
For more details, please consult the latest information and recommendations regarding the COVID-19 coronavirus:
- Letter from the Direction régionale de santé publique: New recommendations regarding the coronavirus in China